Sunday, January 23, 2011

The unexamined life is not worth living.

What do you think about? In order to fully understand something wouldn't you have to understand all the circumstances that produced the end product? For example, to understand why cats meow, wouldn't you have to understand exactly how cats evolved and all the situations their predecessors have experienced and how their voice developed and so on? Everything. To understand a war, you would have to understand what happened with every entity involved and probably down to minute events that no one but those present witnessed, maybe past experiences of leaders that made them act or think in a certain way? Anyway, what that brings me to is what do we actually know? I'm learning everyday, trying to "know" something but the end conclusion is I know almost nothing because I can't know everything because 1. I am human and we don't understand the fundamentals of time/space/ and life. 2. I don't have the brain capacity or will to understand even the smallest fraction of the "truth" in the universe even if it was actually apparent to human beings. Sometimes I feel completely stupid because I can't understand or don't already know so many things that other do, and yet other times I feel that most people aren't really thinking about anything important at all and are just partaking in a simple distraction they call life; using personal drama or gossip or television to create something to spend their time on.

So is it better to spend your time and thoughts on trivial things that happen in your tiny life or is it more beneficial to try to understand even a part of the truth that humans could theoretically interpret of the universe? The more I learn about events, politics, philosophy, relationships, humans, etc. the more I am concerned with the biggest issues at hand. Perpetuating the human race, meaning not allowing us to over-pollute or over-populate the Earth to the point of self-destruction, questioning the validity of economy-based society and what kind of people it actually creates, what is love and is it rightfully the single most important thing in my life, is morality created by man and is it the best to act accordingly or is it for suckers and fools because so many others aren't following the same rules? Am I going to be weird for the rest of my life now that these thoughts are in my head? I don't see them going away or losing value on my life's priority list. Does contemplation create social outcasts, because it seems most people (including myself) are endlessly concerned with vanity, money, and distractions.

I travel by plane, I eat meat, am self-absorbed, an avid consumer, get drunk, have stolen, lied and cheated. BUT, I've learned or at least am aware of the unrighteousness of many of these acts and as I sit on my bed writing this I can honestly attest to my pursuit of something good, true or meaningful within my given timeframe. Some kind of progress. I don't really know much of anything but I want to. I want to talk and think about real questions and concerns that should be central to all human life. What was it about ancient greek society that produced thinkers like Socrates, Plato and Aristotle all within such a relatively short period of time? And how far exactly, have we contemporaries strayed?

I'm out, I gotta go check what's happening on Facebook. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

samanthalv © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates