Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stay. Just a little bit longer.

It seems normal for humans to be overwhelmed by their lives from time to time. I go through moments, hours, days, or weeks where I feel almost completely in control and unstoppable and then suddenly CRASH. Yesterday regardless of positive things that were happening all around me I couldn't seem to experience them for what they were; good. And enjoyable. The thought of the seemingly endless work I had ahead and sleepless nights made me want to curl up in a ball and cry like a little girl.

I was defeated.


After a long conversation with my mother, she explained that she didn't believe this feeling ever ceased. She felt incompetent at age forty when she began teaching in a public school, bought her first house at age 50 without a husband, age 52 when she realized we wouldn't have enough money to send me to college and the list goes on.

Most of us seem to constantly experience moments where we feel incapable and not smart, strong, or extraordinary enough to accomplish what we dream of.


"I can't do this. I could never do that."

Being overwhelmed made me feel like abandoning the project that had not even materialized, quitting school, and surrendering. Malea, one of my closest friends, observed this mentality and simply stopped, looked at me, and said, "We're going to try because trying and failing is better than accepting and doing nothing." And she was right.

It seems like those who actually succeed at anything, push through that momentary deterrence—sometimes fail, yet keep going and keep believing in themselves and their capabilities.

Did the Greats never fail or feel inadequate? I very much doubt that.

Life is a battle, and those who accept mediocracy become just that. You are the only person you can always count on to believe in yourself and abilities. Be who you are and work at what you love, create the person you want to be and don't ever stop. Build a sturdy foundation and take it one step, one day at a time, but keep marching on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

samanthalv © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates