Friday, February 24, 2012

New York City


New York City is a living organism. It evolves. It devolves. It fluctuates as a living organism. So my relationship with New York City is as vitriolic as the relationship with myself and any other human being, which means that it changes every millisecond, that it's in constant fluctuation. This winter I really felt like we were getting a divorce. And I was certainly the loser of that divorce. I mean, there was anger. I was overwhelmed. I reemerged into my own naivete. I couldn't believe how angry the city was with me. And it seemed like a vindictive woman to be like no reason whatsoever, just by the pure rage of its own existence. Because the concrete had settled. Because the terra cotta had been meticulously carved. Because some of the buildings are higher than others; the anger, the inferiority that some of the shorter buildings feel, I felt. And I suddenly was not welcome on this island anymore. And the City and I have had a reemergence of some kind in the summer. Maybe because I was able to refuel my Cruise a little bit by working laboriously and crawling my way back onto the island. Because perhaps I paid proper respect. I don't know why the City was so angry with me during this winter. I'm just glad that it's not quite as angry with me right now. [Laughing] I don't want to speak too soon, for God's sake. I mean, like I said, the relationship seems to change as any human relationship would, and with any living thing.


- Speed Levitch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

samanthalv © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates