Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Negative to Positive.

People always say to "look on the bright side." But it's harder to actually do when something bad happens. Usually all we want to do is surrender and shrivel into a ball until the the pain or problem goes away. Recently something happened that made me want to crawl into a fetal position and cry until I felt better. At first I became weak, thought negatively about the situation and all the possible implications it would have and let myself be miserable. The next morning I woke up and realized I had a choice. I could either make this into something horrible that would make me weak and take happiness from the finite days I've been given, or I could choose to be strong. I've sort of chosen strength.

Change is scary, and sometimes very unwelcome but you've got to work with what you've got. And right now I've got time for myself again, so I'm going to use it to do something positive. I've been running, cooking and baking, learning new things, and just plain remembering how much I love being alone. This shift also made me remember how lucky I am to have such amazing friends. No matter what happens, life goes on and how you choose to perceive each twist in the road is your decision.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the way, Sam . . . as I see it, we have two options: imagine that change is "scary" - and in that way, become afraid when it happens, or, embrace change as THE constant thing in our lives . . . sounds like you've got your arms wrapped securely around it :) Hang in there. Scott

Unknown said...

Love your positivity, thanks for the support!

Anonymous said...

Sam, have you ever read "Letters to a Young Poet"?, by Rainer Maria Rilke . . . if not, this seems like The Perfect Time to me . . . (my favorite is letter #8) . . . the book is one I MUST and DO carry with me, Everywhere :) Keep :)'in . . . Scott

Anonymous said...

Good! :) It is, in my mind, Genius. I make use of mine, and have for over twenty years, returned to it like a friend :) . . . Scott

Post a Comment

 

samanthalv © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates