Saturday, June 2, 2012

Arabian Nights.


Here I am, on my bed, on my first full Arabian Night...reflecting. Every minute I spend with A, I remember I'm going to be leaving him in a week and it makes me so sad and thoughtful. I watch the little things he does and says and try to pay attention to remember him better. He feels like my little brother at this point, like a phantom limb. Taking care of him feels so natural, I honestly can't imagine not having him under foot or in my arms. The way he smiles, giggles, and thinks amazes me and I cherish everyday I got to spend with my little brother.

The places we've been going and the things I've seen on this tour are insane and incredible. I can't imagine a better experience that could have taught me more about myself and the world around me. The United Arab Emirates is unlike any other place I've seen before. I mean...obviously, but you really forget places so different actually exist in a world of their own outside of your own. Watching the people walk in their strange dress, with their strange language in this strange environment is a mix of scary and exhilarating. I think those are two of my favorite feelings.

I know I'm growing when I feel scared. And I know I'm truly happy when I'm exhilarated. Israel was so peaceful and natural and down to earth. Abu Dhabi seems very glamourous and cold but maybe that's just this huge hotel and these huge rooms that make me feel so very far away and alone.

Regardless, I can't believe I'm here. And I can't wait to see my sister when I get off the PATH train. That's all for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam, Scott here . . . nice realization: "I know I'm growing when I feel scared." Yeah, Love that one . . . has proven true for me. And the scared/exhilarated dichotomy . . . yeah, been there too . . . have actually spent a lifetime looking for it . . . Have been reading a biography of Freya Stark - famed desert/Middle East traveler of the early 20th century . . .

Walk on, Sam . . . hand in hand with fear and exhilaration . . . oh yea, and keep sharing :)

Unknown said...

I was hoping someone would pick up on that being the most important part of this post. Definitely the lesson I got form writing it :)

Post a Comment

 

samanthalv © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates