Monday, May 7, 2012

The Price of my Soul



My least favorite question is:
"How do you afford to travel?"
How do I afford to travel?
How do I not afford to travel?
How do you afford to not travel?

The price of my soul would be higher to pay.

I could have a better car.
That's true.
I could have new clothes.
That's also true.
Pretty jewelry,
many pretty things.
But I'm satisfied.

By walking on a beach, 
my eyes have never seen before.
Through a forest.
I know I will never meet again.

Satisfied with bananas and avocados;
and lots of tap water.
Satisfied with the breeze and smells
of some foreign place.
And the sounds of their never to be heard-again tongues.

What satisfies you?
Or do you not know?

I know what makes me whole.
What feeds my soul.
And that is what I choose to feed.
This is my prerogative.
This is my priority.
Maybe if you knew yours,

You wouldn't have to ask me,
"How do you afford to travel?"

6 comments:

Annette Hebler Vetrano said...

This is the best!!!! I often get asked the same thing, "How does Sam afford to travel?" I find myself defending your choice to travel. Now I no longer have to try to come up with a response to that least favorite question. You have given me the perfect answer! Thank you so much. I love (and will always love) you and all of your choices Sammie. Mom

Muranda Lynn said...

You truly are the best.

Anonymous said...

Some simply want to feed their egos . . . some have never even heard their Soul whisper (and yes, it does whisper)(All. The. Time.) . . .

Reading Kafka last night: From a certain point onward there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached.

You have reached that point (we all do) . . . but those who listen to the Spirit will be content at the end. :) - Scott

Unknown said...

What special people I have in my life.

Maureen said...

You should have added that it is in your blood, you have a grandmother that felt the same way!! Also an uncle that was a world traveler, I wish I was your age and could do all that!! Go where your heart desires, but know that no matter where you go you will always be in our hearts!!

Unknown said...

This is very true. I'll be in Texas in August :) I can't wait to see you!

Post a Comment

 

samanthalv © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates